A Look Back at 2023 – HVAC Industry Trends and Fieldpiece Contributions
As we wrap 2023, we’re looking back at some of the key developments and trends that impacted the HVAC industry and ultimately, techs’ jobs! It’s also a great time to roll the highlight reel of what Fieldpiece accomplished and how we made a few waves this year.
A2L Phasedown Ramps Up
One of the hottest topics of the year was what the phasedown of HFC refrigerant production and transition to A2L refrigerants means for the HVAC industry, systems, and techs. While 2023 saw a minor, 10% reduction to the baseline production of HFCs, the industry is gearing up for another 30% reduction in 2024.
Critical takeaways for techs included the need to recover, recycle, and reclaim HFC refrigerants to limit their release in the atmosphere and help ensure an adequate supply of reclaimed refrigerants to service the installed base. Additionally, techs should be evaluating all their tool and test equipment to ensure A2L compatibility. This year alone, Fieldpiece trained thousands of contractors on the best practices for refrigerant recovery and what to expect with the A2L transition. We expanded our training department and training ambassadors this year to meet the demand, so look for a training class in 2024 near you!
Fossil Fuels OUT, Electric IN
Fueled by government initiatives to accelerate climate-friendly heating systems and reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, like gas and coal, the installation of heat pumps continued to escalate in 2023. Expect an even higher surge in 2024 as state and local governments implement tax credit and rebate programs targeted at electrification retrofits. The good news is that your Fieldpiece instruments are ready to tackle commissioning these systems with you.
This year also saw a rise in the number of connected HVACR products on the market. Systems continued to get smarter – with technology incorporating IOT, smart thermostats, and Indoor Air Quality features. And techs matched that technology by getting connected with wireless tools and digital apps, like the Fieldpiece Job Link® System. The ability to monitor multiple measurements and calculations at once, get a diagnosis assist, consolidate information, and generate a customer report from one app is the ultimate way to work smarter not harder.
One Hot Summer
Summer 2023 might have had a late start in many regions, but temperatures in the month of July made it the hottest month in recorded history. This month-long heat wave showcased the need for more skilled technicians across the nation to meet the rising demand and keep people comfortable. We know techs love the hustle of summer, but there are only so many hours in a day. Take the 2024 challenge and be a trade ambassador for our great industry – take a friend, niece, or cousin under your wing for on-the-job training or steer them towards HVAC school!
Roll the Highlight Reel
As techs you handled the industry changes and curveballs that defined 2023 like true professionals. Fieldpiece is also proud of a few accomplishments and accolades this year. To recap, we:
- Introduced Hoses and Fittings – You asked, and we delivered. In true Fieldpiece fashion, we made ours durable with triple ring crimping on premium hose material and introduced low abrasion knurled fittings and mix and match color tags.
- Awarded #MasteroftheTrade Scholarships – We worked with SkillsUSA to offer scholarships to up-and-coming HVACR techs to advance their skills and their careers. Our second annual #MasteroftheTrade Scholarship offered more than $25,000 in scholarship opportunities to 13 SkillsUSA students studying HVACR in high school or college.
- Lent a helping hand to Lahaina, Maui Techs – Fieldpiece and Johnstone Supply coordinated and presented a tool giveback to the HVACR technicians affected by the Lahaina Fire in Maui, Hawaii. Approximately $19,000 of donated tools and test equipment were given to help the technicians restore their livelihood. While healing and rebuilding their community will take time, it was great to see their smiling faces as we replaced items that were lost in the fire.
- Took gold in the 2023 ACHR Dealer Design Awards –The Fieldpiece CAT85 Combustion Analyzer HC was named the gold winner in the testing and monitoring products category at the 2023 ACHR Dealer Design Awards. Innovative and now award-winning features include the HydroCycle™ pump that eliminates the water trap and SensorVault™ technology that seals off the sensors when not in use, prolonging their life.
- Were selected as a Best Place to Work in SoCal – Fieldpiece was honored to be named by Best Companies Group (BCG) as one of the best places to work in Southern California, cementing our ability to retain and attract the best of the best talent.
- Were honored for our critical thinking culture – Kepner-Tregoe awarded Fieldpiece the Kepner-Tregoe Critical Thinking Cultural Excellence Award. They recognized our environment and support structure that enables critical thinking skills to flourish and thrive. These skills enable us to bring innovative solutions to the table to help techs do their jobs easier, faster, and better.
Bring on 2024
Fieldpiece recognizes that you, our HVAC community, help us keep a finger on the pulse of the industry so that we can continue to innovate to serve you. Because of your loyalty and support, Fieldpiece continued to grow in 2023 and our expanded team looks forward to delivering even more best-in-class products to you in the coming year. Thank you for a fantastic year and we look forward to 2024!